Finally took down the Xmas tree today and stored it away for next season. Spent some time at the Sanctuary as well as hitting a couple of grocery stores in the afternoon. Did a bunch of cooking this afternoon as well. Sad news about Kobe. Tried to do a impromptu photo shoot with Carson. We did get this one which I thought was pretty good:
Lots of appointments filling out today. I had a dental appt early in the morning with a followup in two weeks and then LD had some stuff. Carson had a vet visit as well. That was a bit of trauma getting him in the carrier at first – but he did good while he was there. He was so scared he actually let out a little poop while en route – which actually was advantageous as it was used as his stool sample. Good job Carson! We also did get to check out a cute cafe in Lincoln as well since we were in the area (the Twisted Tree Cafe). In case you were wondering I had a pretty good turkey sandwich.
This seems to be the year of seeing concerts – got a whole bunch of musical acts to see this year. Might see Bon Jovi again (not sure why his prices are so high, he ain’t THAT good – just my opinion), and entered a contest for front row Billy Joel seats at Fenway along with a meet and greet after the show through SiriusXM – hey you never know. Can”t win if you don’t try although I know my odds on that one are pretty slim. This all goes along with acts I plan to see this like Def Leppard, Poison, Mötley Crüe and Joan Jett (granted all those are on the same bill) as well as Johnny Mathis, possibly Damone again and maybe Lita Ford or some such, who knows. Maybe even the Harp Twins. Might be getting tougher and tougher to see local acts these days as the old Middle East is up for sale though admittedly I haven’t done that in quite some time – age and all.
Wish I had CBS All Access – I want to see the new Picard show – heard good things, but I’m too cheap to buy the streaming service for one show. Anyone wanna invite me to a watch party? Heheh!Another show I’m looking forward to Forensic Files II! Wonder if it’ll be as good as the originals – I noticed it even has the same opening theme music!
Got a free shipment of Hello Fresh to try this weekend (friend that uses them got an offer to send a free shipment to us try them out) – we’ll see how it goes (haven’t done any of these things since the Blue Apron days, which we did for a while but quit a couple of years ago). I’m doing the cooking tonight! What else? Still keeping my amaryllis and European Tree going strong, so that’s good. Filled up the bird feeder outside as it was empty – I haven’t really done any birding in a while. Might have to get out there and try some again.
This cat has some interesting behavoirs we are finding out! He really is quite a character:
- I mentioned before his using his paw to lap up some water before sticking his face in the bowl. He’ll scoop up like 5 or six pawfuls and lick it off his paw before deciding the lap it up regularly.
- The minute you show him the brush, no matter what he’s doing or timid he might be, he immediately runs up to it, gets into a flop, and stretches himself out so you can brush him head to toe. Actually, it’s good that he likes this because it allows one to instantly connect with him. It allowed him to get adjusted to us rather quickly I think.
- He doesn’t like to eat with his back toward anyone, so at times he will contort his body in strange ways while he’s eating to not be in that position. He also has some other crazy contortions he makes while on the cat tree and even just sitting on the floor.
- He really likes string toys. He chews on them like eating pasta. We got this string toy with a mouse on the end that he absolutely loves. He’ll take it in his mouth and then drag the toy away with him to secluded places. So we let him do that, then we grab it again, plays, and again, in the mouth and drags it away!
- He hasn’t quite got the hang of visiting us in the bed to say goodnight yet. He’s done it a few times but not as often as we would like – at least not as of yet. We’re hoping that will change. I did notice this morning he likes to sit on the stairs leading up to the bedroom.
- He actually likes the cat ‘health’ food. Which is amazing, because every cat I’ve ever had couldn’t stand the stuff, though to be honest, they didn’t try it until they were much older and set in their ways.
- When a guest comes over he tends to hide, but what I like is he can be coaxed out of hiding with possibly a string toy, but especially with the brush. Thank the gods the shelter let us have his – it’s almost like he’d addicted to it!
Are there any strange behaviors you’ve noticed your pet doing? Do they endear you as ours does? If so, share them in the comments!
Went out for a nice dinner with friends last night over in Dedham. I just wish I could shale this annoying cough I seem to have developed. I know it’s all part of the process of this cold working it’s way through my system, but annoying nonetheless. I think I’ve drunk more tea this week than I ever have in my entire life.
Carson is settling in really nice now. This new addition is making us all very happy, and I think the feeling is mutual!
I started the week feeling a little under the weather, so that’s why it’s been a little quiet around here. I am starting to feel better though so I’ll start updating again. Carson is adjusting quite well, he is really such a love and cute. The little guy has quite a personality. He loves the brush and to be groomed so if he runs away you just show him the brush and he runs right back to you. He can also be coaxed out of hiding by luring him out with his toys. I’ve noticed he also has this thing where when he wants a drink of water he scoops out 4 or 5 pawfuls and drinks it out of his paw before placing his face in the bowl. Never saw anything like that before! Now I just need to get over this cold and I’ll be golden!
Well, here he is. The newest member of the family. He was apparently already done with the room he was in and wanted to explore the rest of the house already, at least he did at 3 am last night by keeping up us banging on the door. So this morning I let him out and he’s slowly checking things out but overall I think he’s adjusting pretty quickly!
Today was the day that we were to meet Carson, the cat that had been living in a shelter in Millis for two months. I don’t know what is was about him when we saw his picture on the website but his big round eyes, dashing grey coat with white paws, and heart-shaped nose cuteness just spoke to us like he could be the one. Around noontime was the appointment and we arrived a little early. When we were finally introduced he looked a little scared at first, but not too bad. He allowed us to brush and pet him and play with him and it was almost like an instant connection. Yes, he is a bit shy and skittish at first, because it’s all new to him, but I could tell he will adjust really fast. I could tell he would be a gentle and friendly cat. Plus, he apparently loves face-scratches which is something LD had become an expert at with Oreo, so right there is a connection that could work for us. He’s shy (but I found not overly so) and he didn’t hiss or scratch, he seemed like a real catch. I knew we could love this cat and that he also has the capability to return the favor.
It was pretty much a done deal after spending some time with the little guy. Carson was getting an all expenses paid trip to his new forever home. After all the paperwork was signed, he got placed in the carrier and I let him say goodbye to his other cat friends at the shelter, who in their own way, probably felt bittersweet. Sad that he was leaving them, but happy that he could find a loving home to be in. I’m sure the volunteers who help out at the shelter felt the same way. Also, I have to say this shelter was amazing so I’m giving a plug to Purr-fect Cat Shelter. They are really a wonderful folks doing good work there so if you’re looking for cat, check them out.
So with that, I’m happy to say that Carson is now a member of the family! I’ll get some nice pictures of him up after he gets a little more adjusted to his new home, that grey and white handsome bundle of joy. Interestingly I had found a Xmas tree ornament while shopping at Target last night with his exact name on it. What are the odds of that? I don’t think that’s an everyday name but it does seem to suit him, so we’ll be keeping that. Naturally we ended up buying it, so I guess it was fate that he would be coming home with us today. The shelter folks told us to keep him in a room for the time being to adjust to his new surroundings and slowly let him acclimate to the rest of the house over time, so for the time being he’s hanging upstairs in the home office room. So far, I think he seems to be adjusting quite well – it being fairly quiet here and no other cat shenanigans to worry about.
Welcome home, Carson!